As a top commercial roofing company serving the Cincinnati, Dayton, and Columbus region, Roofing Annex receives a lot of inquiries about flat roofing types. Specifically, we are asked “what type works best” and “which flat roofing option is the least expensive”. The answer is surprisingly the same for both! TPO has come a long way in its formulation to become the best choice around. Hence, we’ve put together a Cincinnati TPO Roofing Guide to answer the questions and concerns that come with this product.
First, What is TPO?
The term TPO stands for Thermoplastic Polyolefin. Believe it or not, TPO is actually in a broad family of rubber roofing materials. TPO is a blend of polypropylene and ethylene-propylene rubber. Each manufacture has their own proprietary formula(s) that they’ve changed over the years. Hence, it’s hard to know what the lifespan will be for many of them.
Benefits to the Owners of Local Cincinnati TPO Roofing to Stay the Course
The number one sceptic of TPO must be addressed first! Property owners and managers who have TPO roofs that have failed or aged poorly tend to want to shy away. Don’t! It’s more than likely that your particular product, building issues, or the installer are to blame for any off-putting issues you may have experienced. Let us be clear that the 3 issues can be rectified with a new TPO roof from a reputable roofer that is certified by a top manufacturer to install their product correctly while addressing other concerns that may have accelerated issues. Generally water ponding can be a main concern that has nothing to do with the installer and everything to do with how a building is settling or problems with the building structure. A great roofer will always look at the current roofing problems and address them with the new roof to mitigate ponding and other issues. The benefits to TPO are numerous so we hope you stick with it. If not, there are other options that may fit your needs but you might be paying more.
Benefits to TPO Roofing
It’s important to point out that we handle a lot of Cincinnati TPO roofing projects; Roofing Annex only works with GAF TPO products as a Master Select Roofing Contractor™. TPO roofing has grown at a fast rate and GAF meets the needs with quality formulated products that keep getting better because they have the R&D to deliver. Factoring our mastery and theirs you can expect the following benefits from a new TPO roof:
- Excellent seam strength – 4 times stronger seems than EPDM of same thickness.
- Exceptional puncture resistance – when compared to both non-reinforced and reinforced EPDM of the same thickness.
- Dimensional stability – Will not shrink like EPDM.
- Longevity – Properly cared for TPO roofs will last 35 years or more like an EPDM roof but requires fewer and less expensive repairs on average. Most BUR roofs only last 20 to 30 years.
- Easy to install – Only 3 steps to install whereas EPDM has a dozen steps.
- Less to go wrong – Fewer install steps means less can go awry.
- Repairs go faster – Remove the bad patch and weld in a new one.
- Costs less – Quicker installations mean you save a ton.
- Energy efficiency – TPO’s highly reflective (white) material helps to reduce overall demand charge on commercial buildings, which accounts for 30–70% of a total electricity bill. Compared to a black EPDM or even a built-up roof the savings can be drastic.
- Great Warranties – The System Pledge and Diamond Pledge warranties cover everything for 20 or 35 years respectively – more on warranties
- Pick your color – Though there is cost involved and darker colors will affect your energy bill, GAF can manufacture any color to meet your specific needs.
Are you in the market for a new flat roof or need repairs? Call Roofing Annex today to have a certified flat roof specialist come look at your roofing system, provide you with an inspection, and give you a free estimate.
A Closer Look at Cincinnati TPO Roofing Work
Here are just a few images to put a face to TPO to help tell the story of how it relates to its number one competitor, EPDM.
We hope that this guide covered the main points of concern you may have and made a compelling case for what we believe is the best flat roofing product available, TPO.