We know what you’re thinking – It’s summer, you want to be out having fun, not doing maintenance work on your roof. We know that our home bases of Cincinnati and Chicago have few dry spells even in the summer which means they need to be taken advantage of. These summer roof maintenance tips will take only a few minutes to a couple of hours, but the time spent is well worth it because it could save you from costly roof repairs down the road.
To ensure your safety, all of these summer roof care tasks are performed from the ground. If there is a need to go up on your roof, we recommend you contact us to perform the roof repair or maintenance.
Summer Roof Maintenance Checklist
Since we’re enjoying some hot summer days, we recommend doing your roofing checklist early in the morning when it’s a bit cooler. Binoculars are helpful for getting a closer look at your roof. We also recommend wearing work gloves.
- Inspect your roof with a complete walk-around from the ground, looking for shingle lift, missing shingles, cracked or dented shingles, moss or any other type of fungal growth, debris that has gathered in corners or roof valleys and roof damage of any kind.
- Inspect the flashing (metal strips) around the chimney, skylight, vents, satellite dish, or any other roof protrusion. Flashing often loosens during harsh weather or can deteriorate over time.
- Check the underside of eaves for debris that may have gathered and remove it. Be careful since this is a favorite spot for stinging insects to build nests.
- Check for loose gutters. It’s common for storms to loosen them. Tighten all bolts, making certain the gutters are properly angled and aligned to divert water away from the house.
- Clean out gutters, downspouts and roof drains. You’ll be surprised at the amount of flower blossoms, twigs, seeds and other debris that gathers in them during the spring. After cleaning the gutters, test them by running water through them using a garden hose. If the water flows freely through them with no leaks, you’re good to go.
The Importance of Summer Roof Maintenance
Summer brings some challenging weather conditions, including high temperatures, humidity, pounding rain, thunderstorms and heavy winds. Taking the time to perform some quick checks of your roof and minor roofing system maintenance assures you of three important factors:
- Your roof is up to the task of handling summer heat and storms.
- Your roof is in good operating condition.
- You’re on track to meet or extend the life expectancy of your roof.
If you’re short on time, you can always arrange for the Roofing Annex to perform your roof maintenance. We’ll establish a maintenance schedule to ensure your roof is properly inspected and maintained regularly. By being proactive with roof maintenance, problems can be spotted before they develop into costly repairs. Plus, with proper care, your roofing system will last longer. To learn more about our roof maintenance services, simply email or call us. Make us Your Roofing Solution for all your roofing needs.